1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Adventure Games' started by Len Green, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Len Green

Len Green Member

I started this the day before yesterday and have made some good progress.
    I am enjoying it greatly as I have done with EVERY ONEN OF the previous BS’s of the series which I have played ever since I bought the o magnificent original Broken Sword (1) all those years ago !

Just 2 relatively small but very annoying omissions – IMO unnecessary indolence since they co8ld so easily be included and almost always are in nearly every recent game.

{1} Only EIGHT user available save slots. Ridiculous today when many games provide unlimited save slots and the smallest number bordering on decency is at least 20 !!!

{2} EVERY Quest-Adventure I have played recently has the simple built in trigger <Alt-Tab> … one application takes the player out of the game and onto desktop, a second application returns unchanged control back to the game.
    This enables the player at any time (almost) during the game to IMMEDIATELY access and Email, Facebook, Skype, etc., etc , and return to the game instantaneously & easily.
    Not so Broken Sword 5 unfortunately. The player is forced to quit the game completely, perform the abovementioned utilities, and then restart the game and choose ‘Restore’ – relatively lengthy cumbersome & annoying process !!

2. markornikov

markornikov Member

Technologically Revolution Software hasn't made a lot of improvments to their old engine so it seems.
    Unlimites saves and alt-tabbing should be standard by now.
    Also graphically the engine hasn't been improved a lot, animations are a bit stiff and jerky by today's standards.

But those are all minor complaints, the game itself is great when compared to the other 2 original Broken Swords.

3. Len Green

Len Green Member

Thanx Markornikov - I could not agree more ! :) :D

4. Len Green

Len Green Member

ANYBODY know the exact date Episode 2 (2nd half) is going to be released !

Going slowly since I had a nasty fall on my back 10 days ago – I think I have a spinal compression fracture which is still terribly painful but AFAIK not serious and with no treatment but will take a few weeks to complexly heal – I HOPE !!
    Going for an X-ray later today.

Am about half way through and enjoying it very greatly. So far it is not a difficult game and have managed without a walklthru’.

5. Len Green

Len Green Member

A fair way through this game is a puzzle which consists of a letter which has been diced up into pieces by a shredder.
    I have solved countless puzzles where you have to assemble a torn up note or document. However this one is rather different.
    My wife, playing entirely independently, solved the puzzle pretty easily and reasonably quickly. I however got bogged down and wasted some 2 to 3 hours -- I believe due to NO fault of my own !!
    I would not say that this was necessarily a bug amend certainly NOT a stopper.
    However, if anybody has any frustrating trouble, as I did, I'm pretty sure that I can help out !sure that I can help out !

6. Len Green

Len Green Member

Maybe my following facts are not correct, but AFAIK I read somewhere that Broken Sword 5 Episode 1 was released very early in December 2013 and that Broken Sword 5 Episode2 (the second of 2 halves) was due to be released during January 2014,
    Please correct the above if I am mistaken !

It is already the 1st of February 2014 and I haven’t seen or heard ANYTHING as yet about Broken Sword 5 Episode2.

Does anybody have any (authentic) news ?

********** TIA **********

7. markornikov

markornikov Member

I also read Januari before, but i can't say where.

Officially revolution's website says it's Q1 2014, on kickstarter it says february.

8. Len Green

Len Green Member

4th February 2014
    Waiting anxiously & impatiently for Broken Sword 5 part 2.
    No news on the grapevine yet ???

9. Len Green

Len Green Member

Oh dear, oh dear !

Episode 2 was supposed to be released some time during January 2014 – that that dateline has expired and I am nearing the end of Episode 1.

Some GameBoomers have finished Ep’ 1 and are (im-)patiently awaiting #2.
    Their latest ‘news’(??) there is 31 MARCH 2014 ???

10. markornikov

markornikov Member

Steam is downloading a big 'patch' for BS V, so i'm hoping it's episode II :D

11. Len Green

Len Green Member

Many thanks Narkornikov - please continue to keep us all updated irf/when you hear any fresh news !

12. CB

CB Member

I think it's a patch to V1.03. Better graphics?? 4:3??
    I haven't started it yet as I am one of those rare breeds that must have the complete set available ready to play. :oops:

13. Len Green

Len Green Member

Our 57 y.o. daughter Noemi has finished the first episode. She informed me that towards the end she encountered some cashes which did not occur earlier. They were not FATASL since she finished Episode 1./
    I am only half way through the first episode since I had to put in on the back burner due to pressure of other matters - I am continuing tomorrow. To date I have jot had any crashes. I have had a few extremely minor glitches but that's all.

I wonder if anybody else has had crashes and if so how serious were they & what were the details.
    Could this be the ONLY treason for the 'patch'

14. Karla

Karla Administrator Staff Member

The Revolution site reflects: "Episode 2 will be available in the first quarter of 2014." A little indefinite, but better than nothing.
    http://revolution.co.uk/games/bs5/

15. CB

CB Member

From the official FB page Jan. 17:

16. Karla

Pushed back again, eh? Thanks, CB!

17. Len Green

Len Green Member

Many thanx for the info & updates... Karla & CB.
    Still seems we may get the 2nd half sometime in March this year ???
    Keeping my fingers crossed !!

18. Len Green

Len Green Member

INTERESTING ----- STRANGE !!
    My wife Sylvia is also playing BS-5.
    She is near the end of the episode (about 84%) and HAS NOT encountered ANY crashes as my daughter did
    I wonder why ? ………. Different order of gameplay ? Different computers ?? Different OS’s ???.

19. Karla

They didn't exactly say which year. (I'm terrible.)

20. Len Green

Len Green Member

OH NO !!
    OMG !!!
    :( :mad: :confused: :oops:
    :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)